Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Dr. Sheena

This is Val's internist, Dr. Sheena. He's truly one in a million! He has played a VERY important role in each and every one of Val's hospitalizations. One of the many things that makes him so SPECIAL is that everytime he comes into your hospital room he has your chart and he sits down and makes himself comfortable. The first thing he says is "tell me about your day". You just know that he will stay there as long as it takes to give you your current medical information and to give you time to ask any and all of your questions. We truly wish everyone could be fortunate enough to have someone like Dr. Sheena as their internist. On a lighter note.... the first thing Val and I look at when he walks in the room is his tie....it's always colorful and frequently Disney characters. His kids have great taste when choosing their dad's ties! I was hoping for a Disney tie the day I took this picture but this colorful one looks great!

We were both really exhausted when we finally got home to Cissy's house yesterday. On the ride home Val said how good it felt to be out of the hospital and riding in the car. His hemoglobin was 12.1 yesterday and we are thrilled with that! We both hope and pray that his stamina will start to improve even a little bit each day.

We always read the nutrional labels on food items to check for calories, fat grams, sat. fat, etc. but today I was checking for sodium content...... what a shock!!!!! Val is now supposed to be on a 2gram a day diet (2000mg) and I couldn't believe the high sodium content of just about everything I picked up. This is going to call for some creative planning and food preparation, so if any of you have a favorite low-sodium recipe we'd love to give it a try.

1 Comments:

At 6:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a wonderful man your Dr seems to be...that is such a blessing. Glad to hear you made it home. About the sodium- I haven't been aware of that...Dave is such a salt freak...he salts salt!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home